This Sweet and Salty Dog Birthday Cake is the perfect cake to celebrate your best furry friend’s birthday. Made with pumpkin, peanut butter, applesauce, and bacon!
If you think celebrating a dog’s birthday is ridiculous, then I’m sorry. We could never be friends.
Is that too harsh? It’s just how I feel. In my heart.
But I know that you don’t think that way, since you’re here reading this post on how to make a dog birthday cake. So we can definitely be friends.
We would probably be very good friends, too, you and I.
I love animals so dearly, and one animal in particular. Cocoa, my sweet, derpy, funny, loud-mouthed Corgi is my best friend. She’s my first and only dog, and she’s so amazing.
For Cocoa’s 6th birthday, I made her this Sweet and Salty Dog Birthday Cake. Her eyes lit up and she was in disbelief that she could actually eat it. But she loved it.
In honor of Cocoa’s 6th birthday, I’d love to tell you six things about her.
- Cocoa is seriously smart. She was very easy to train and she knows the following tricks: sit, stay, jump, high five, low five, handshake, spin, speak, BANG! (play dead), and down. She’s also pretty incredible at catching treats.
- Cocoa’s favorite food, without a doubt, is cheese. No matter what room in the house she’s in, she knows the sound of cheese being opened or taken out of the refrigerator, and she will come into said kitchen.
- Cocoa absolutely loves to hike, go on long walks, explore, and adventure. She may have short little stubby legs, but the girl can walk. She always surprises me by how steep she can climb, the size of rocks she can get over, and how fast she can run.
- Cocoa is what we lovingly refer to as “The Fun Police.” Anytime someone runs, walks too quickly, or is too loud, she gets mad. As a herding dog, she hates when people leave the pack, but I’m also pretty sure she hates when people are having too much fun, too.
- Cocoa didn’t get into too much trouble as a puppy, except this one time she ate the paint off the wall. Yup. I came home from work one day and Cocoa had eaten the paint off the wall. There was about a 3-foot circle of the wall paint chipped off. That was a fun vet visit to explain.
- Cocoa knows a ton of words. She understands walk, vet, groomer, mom, dad, car, bone, cheese, Starbucks (haha). And she understands when you’re talking about her, especially if you’re making fun of her. This one time my dad was imitating how she walked when she had to poop, and she jumped up and bit him in the butt. (Just a little nibble, I think it was her warning.) And it was hilarious.
So I can only celebrate a dog this special and hilarious with a very special dog birthday cake.
Hence, this Sweet and Salty version. I dig sweet and salty things (like cheesecake), and Cocoa digs anything with bacon (who doesn’t? …Well, vegans, I guess.)…