Beer Battered Zucchini Tacos with creamy avocado yogurt crema and cilantro-jalapeno slaw is a fun and delicious plant-based addition to Taco Tuesday.
For the Beer Battered Zucchini:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cold beer (I used Corona)
- 2 medium-large zucchini
For the Avocado Yogurt Crema:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the Carrot-Jalapeno Slaw:
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 jalapeno, sliced (keep some seeds for extra heat)
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Corn tortillas
For the Crema:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use. *Can be made the day before.
For the Slaw:
- Combine the carrots, jalapeno, avocado oil, lime juice, sugar, cumin, salt and pepper. Toss thoroughly until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use, and toss in the cilantro right before use.
For the Zucchini:
- Heat a deep-sided pot over medium heat with 1 inch of oil until it reaches 350-375 degrees.
- In the meantime, prepare the batter. Whisk all of the dry ingredients together and pour in the beer last. Mix until combined and let rest 10 minutes. The batter should be the consistency of a thick pancake batter.
- Slice the zucchini into thick, even spears. Toss the zucchini into a bit of flour, and then coat in the beer batter. Fry the zucchini until evenly brown and golden on each side. Drain very well on paper towels.
- Warm the corn tortillas. Assemble the tacos with one or two zucchini spears (depending on size) topped the crema and slaw. Enjoy!