These Chicken Sausage and Quinoa Protein Egg Muffins are a healthy make-ahead breakfast that’s loaded with protein and plenty of vegetables.
Make-ahead breakfasts changed my life.
As I’ve mentioned plenty of times, I am not a morning person. I really wish I was. But wishing and being are two entirely different things when it comes to me and the mornings.
I will almost never make myself breakfast. I know that it’s bad, and I try to be better about it. I stock up on healthy homemade granola bars or pre-made smoothies I’ll make, stash in the freezer, and defrost the night before.
But sometimes I really crave something more savory. That’s where these Chicken Sausage & Quinoa Protein Egg Muffins come in.
You may call them egg muffins, which I admit sounds a bit funny, or crustless baby quiches, mini frittatas, oven-baked omelettes. All the same.
They’re an excellent make-ahead breakfast for when you’re craving something savory or are just plain tired of that granola bar.
Egg muffins can be made with really anything you’d like. Here, I fill them with scallions, basil, garlic, broccoli, bell pepper, shallot, chicken sausage, and quinoa.
Eggs, chicken sausage, and quinoa give these a nice amount of protein.
These egg bites are mostly egg whites, making them a bit healthier, too.
With only 106 calories per muffin and 9 grams of protein, these Quinoa Protein Egg Muffins are both a smart and easy breakfast choice.
It’s a great way to use up any veggies you have laying around in the fridge, too. Feel free to experiment with any combination you’d like!
I hope that you enjoy these Chicken Sausage & Quinoa Protein Egg Muffins! What’s your favorite make-ahead breakfast? Let me know in the comments below.
These Chicken Sausage and Quinoa Protein Egg Muffins are a healthy make-ahead breakfast loaded with protein and plenty of vegetables.
- 2 cups egg whites
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 6 ounces chicken sausage, any flavor you like
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 handful chopped basil
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 24-cup muffin tin with baking spray or oil very well.
- Heat a skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil. Sear the chicken sausage until browned and cooked through. Remove from the pan and let cool. Once cool, dice the chicken sausage into cubes or small rounds.
- While the chicken sausage is cooling, heat the other tablespoon of oil. Add in the shallot, broccoli, and pepper. Cook until starting to soften. Add in the garlic and season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Cook until all the vegetables are softened but still remain a slight crunch. Let the vegetables cool off slightly.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg whites, eggs, milk, sea salt, pepper, scallions, and basil. Whisk until well incorporated. Stir in the cooked quinoa, vegetables, and chicken sausage.
- Fill the muffin tins evenly with the mixture. Stir the mixture in between filling to ensure the quinoa hasn’t settled to the bottom. Bake the egg muffins until they are puffed and cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 106
- Sugar: 0.8g
- Sodium: 88mg
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 50mg