These Coconut Lime Paleo Donuts are delicious, healthier donuts made without flour, dairy, or refined sugar. A coconut flour and coconut sugar doughnut gets topped with a creamy coconut-lime glaze. This post is made in collaboration with GoBeyond Foods and their paleo-optimized sugars.
I was never really a ‘doughnut person’ until much later in life. Growing up, the only donuts I knew were Dunkin’ Donuts—which are quite the staple in northern Jersey.
But in culinary school, I got to make and sample freshly-fried, yeast-raised donuts, which changed my view of donuts forever.
I admit I went through a little, tiny, teeny bit of a doughnut ‘phase’ when I moved to Portland. Definitely not the healthiest habit to take up, I assure you. But I lived right next door to the ever-popular Voodoo Doughnuts II.
Do you know how hard it is to resist a doughnut when you live a hop skip away from a doughnut shop? I could smell donuts being freshly fried, wafts of sugar and vanilla, coffee, and sweet-salty bacon (for their famous Maple Bacon Doughnut) nearly 24/7. Plus, they were open 24 hours a day.
Sigh. Hopefully, you can understand my pain. But, thankfully, my phase ended fairly quickly.
If only donuts were healthy…
Wait, they can be?
I know a paleo doughnut is a bit of an oxymoron, but paleo desserts do exist. I’m all about moderation and balance, which is kind of the whole theme of my website and all. 😉
And these Coconut Lime Paleo Donuts are really, really good.
These baked donuts are easy to make. They’re grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free.
The glaze is made from coconut oil, coconut milk, honey, and lime.
You don’t need fancy ingredients for these donuts. The ‘flours’ in the donuts include almond and coconut, and the sweetness comes from coconut sugar.
We used GoBeyond’s Coconut Sweet sugar, which is a mix of organic coconut sugar and organic stevia.
GoBeyond makes a variety of paleo-optimized sugars, which are all low-glycemic and derived from natural sources. They’re perfect for baking or using anywhere you’d like a little extra sweetness without the refined sugar.
I love GoBeyond Foods for several reasons. Their products are not only healthy and delicious, but they’re eco-friendly and environmentally sustainable. Besides their sugars, they make an amazing line of healthy (!) ice creams, which are also dairy-free, vegan, and organic. Not only are they good for you, but they taste great, too. The guilt-free ice creams are made with Omega-3’s, probiotics, antioxidants, vitamins, and nutrients. Some of the ingredients you’ll see in them include raw chocolate, kombucha, blue green algae, nuts, maca root, and acai. My favorite flavors are the Passion Hibiscus and Chocolate Crunch, which is so delightfully chocolate-y!
Whether you’re paleo, vegan, or just looking to practice a healthier, more balanced lifestyle, I highly recommend GoBeyond’s products. You can find their ice creams at Whole Foods and other West Coast retailers, and you can order their sugars on their website.
Plus, how pretty are these donuts?!
I tried to create a recipe that looked more like a traditional doughnut with a good rise. I used baking powder here, but if you’re paleo it’s very hard to get a grain/corn-free baking powder. You can make your own baking powder using this recipe.
I’m so, so ready for spring and this coconut-lime combination is bright, fresh, and tropical.
These Coconut Lime Paleo Donuts will hopefully be your new favorite healthy dessert!
and here’s a few things you may need for this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links, but are always products I highly recommend.Print
These Coconut Lime Paleo Donuts are delicious, healthier donuts made without flour, dairy, or refined sugar. Topped with a creamy coconut-lime glaze.
For the Donuts:
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup GoBeyond coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat coconut milk
For the Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Freshly grated lime zest
- Coconut sugar
Make the Donuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two donut pans with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, and eggs until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in the flour mixture, alternating with the coconut milk, until the batter is thoroughly mixed and combined.
- Fill the donut molds using a piping bag or a spoon until 3/4 full. Bake until the donuts spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 17-18 minutes. Let cool.
Make the Glaze:
- Whisk together coconut oil, coconut milk, honey, and lime juice until combined. Refrigerate the glaze until thick and glazing consistency, about 30-45 minutes.**
- Glaze the donuts and top with freshly grated lime zest, shredded coconut, and coconut sugar.
*Read the blog post above for tips on paleo baking powder.
**Stir the glaze in the fridge every 10 minutes or so to evenly chill and thicken the glaze.