This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Constellation Brands. All opinions are mine alone. The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older. #CelebratorySips #CelebrateWithModelo #CollectiveBias Coconut Tres Leches Cake is the perfect addition to your Cinco de Mayo celebration!
How much do you guys love Cinco de Mayo?
My Cinco celebrations have changed a bit over the years, thank goodness. A decade ago, you’d find my best friend and I celebrating our Cinco de Mayo tradition at a local New Jersey famous-but-not-so-great Mexican restaurant chain. We’d then see a movie next door, and go home and make not-so-great margaritas while wearing sombreros.
Now, my holiday is at least a bit more authentic. Especially with my Spanish husband, who has over the past eight years introduced me to incredible food like handmade tamales and pupusas.
He’s also inspired me (read: forced me) to create my own tres leches cake, which is his absolute favorite. Of course, you need a great beverage to pair with your tres leches cake—something crisp and refreshing like Modelo Especial®. Modelo Especial is characterized by an orange blossom honey aroma with a hint of herb, which tastes great with a slice of this cake! Since 1925, Modelo Especial has been a part of Mexican culture. Since the first bottle came off the assembly line in 1925, it has been a fixture at major holidays, family celebrations, and friendly get-togethers.
And this Coconut Tres Leches Cake, specifically, well… takes the cake.
This Coconut Tres Leches Cake features coconut in three variations: rich coconut milk, shredded coconut flakes, and coconut rum.
Sounds great already, right?
The cake isn’t too sweet, but it is rich, decadent, and a true treat.
It soaks overnight in the fridge before getting topped with fluffy, barely-sweetened cream.
And it’s the perfect ending to a Cinco de Mayo feast.
Last year, we made Beer-Battered Zucchini Tacos for Cinco, and this year, my husband specifically requested those again with this cake. We pair our Cinco feast with plenty of Modelo, because it’s my husband’s favorite beer and always has been. I especially love Modelo Especial, which is a Pilsner-style beer with a refreshing, clean finish.
And did you know that it’s the “fastest growing” import beer in America?! From family celebrations to Cinco de Mayo, this beer is a must for festive occasions.
My Cinco de Mayo requirements? This Coconut Tres Leches Cake. Tacos. And the quintessential Mexican beer.
What’s your favorite way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo? Let us know in the comments below. I hope that you enjoy this Coconut Tres Leches Cake. Pair your celebration with Modelo and use this store locator to find it near you.Print
Coconut Tres Leches Cake is moist, decadent, and full of rich coconut flavor. Coconut milk, coconut rum, and coconut flakes add a tropical twist to traditional Tres Leches.
For the Cake:
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
For the Tres Leches:
- 1 cup full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-oz) can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup coconut rum
For the Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13″ baking pan.
- Using a standing or hand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks with 1 1/4 cups of sugar at high speed until fluffy and light yellow, about 5-7 minutes. Whisk in the vanilla and coconut milk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add the flour mixture into the egg yolks until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- In a very clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add in 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until the egg whites form stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites into the batter in three additions, until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until golden and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes. Let cool.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the Tres Leches by whisking the coconut milk, condensed milk, evaporated milk, and coconut rum.
- When the cake is cooled (it can still be a little warm, but should not be hot), poke holes all over the entire cake using a thick skewer. Pour the milk mixture over the cake until everything is absorbed. Make sure to also soak the edges.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. Make sure the cake is covered with plastic wrap.
- To serve, whip the cream with the sugar and spread evenly over the cake. Top with shredded coconut. Refrigerate leftovers. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 serving (of 15)
- Calories: 382
- Sugar: 38g
- Sodium: 160mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 92mg