These delicious, easy Easter Bunny Cupcakes are made with a decadent chocolate cake and creamy coconut buttercream.
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup freshly-brewed coffee
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla
For the Coconut Buttercream:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup coconut cream (from 1 can full-fat coconut milk)*
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut extract**
- Pinch salt
- Pillsbury™ Shape™ Bunny Sugar Cookies
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Chocolate eggs
Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line cupcake trays with 24 cupcake liners and spray lightly with baking spray/oil.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, coconut oil, and coffee. Heat until everything is melted and combined. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk or stir until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Whisk or stir in the eggs, then the buttermilk and vanilla. Combine until everything is a smooth, lump-free batter, but do not over-mix.
- Divide the batter among 24 cupcake liners, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake the cupcakes until the tops spring back and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
Make the Buttercream:
- With a standing or handheld mixer, beat the room temperature butter until creamy.
- Measure out 3/4 cup coconut cream from a can of full-fat coconut milk. See notes below.* Add in the coconut cream and beat until the butter/coconut mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until incorporated. Add in a pinch of salt and the extracts.**
- Beat the buttercream until smooth, fluffy, and creamy.
- Pipe or hand-frost the cupcakes with the buttercream. Roll the edges in shredded coconut. Top with a bunny cookie (baked according to package instructions) and colorful chocolate eggs. Enjoy!
To separate the coconut cream in a can of full-fat coconut milk, refrigerate the coconut milk overnight. The next day, your coconut cream will separate from the coconut water. Scoop out the coconut cream, and reserve the liquid for smoothies/another use. 3/4 cup of coconut cream is about exactly what you will get from one can of full-fat coconut milk.
The coconut extract is optional here for more of a pronounced coconut flavor to the buttercream. Use 1-2 teaspoons, depending on taste. Without the extract, the cupcakes will have a subtle coconut flavor from the coconut cream.