This gluten-free Zucchini Lasagna is a delicious, fresh vegetarian dish perfect for an appetizer or a light meal. It’s layered with nutty homemade pesto, creamy goat cheese, earthy mushrooms, and kale.
For the Pesto:
- 2 cups packed fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces pine nuts, toasted
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
For the Lasagna:
- 5 medium-large zucchini, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup + 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale, chopped
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 8 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Slice the zucchini into long 1/4″ thick strips and spread out in a single layer on paper towels. Salt both sides and let sit for 30 minutes. This will draw out the moisture so that the zucchini does not become watery when cooked. After 30 minutes, blot the zucchini thoroughly with paper towels. You can also drain the zucchini in a colander.
- While the zucchini is draining, cook the kale mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the shallots and mushrooms. Cook until almost tender and starting to brown, and add the garlic and kale. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper and cook until the mixture is tender.
- In the meantime, make the pesto. Place all ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor and pulse until finely incorporated. With the processor running, slowly add in the olive oil until emulsified. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, mix the goat cheese with the egg, whole milk, chopped basil, oregano, thyme, and 1/3 cup of Parmesan. Season with sea salt and pepper and mix until creamy and combined.
- Layer the lasagna. In a 9×13 casserole dish, spread some pesto on the bottom of the pan, followed by a layer of the drained, sliced zucchini. Spread the goat cheese on top and evenly sprinkle with the kale and mushroom mixture. Top with more pesto. Repeat this again: zucchini, cheese, kale, and pesto. Top the lasagna with the last layer of zucchini and sprinkle with the mozzarella and 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan.
- Bake the lasagna until the cheese is melted, the edges are golden brown, and the zucchini is tender (check by inserting a sharp knife), about 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the lasagna cool 15 minutes before slicing into squares. Enjoy!
Salting and draining the zucchini is a very crucial step, so please don’t skip it! If you do, your lasagna will be too watery. You could also very lightly grill the zucchini before adding it to the lasagna and cook it a little less in the oven.
Use a high-quality store-bought pesto to save on time and prep.
- Serving Size: 1 of 12
- Calories: 332
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Sodium: 370mg
- Fat: 26g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 50mg