This Harvest Farro Salad with Kale and Butternut Squash is the perfect healthy autumn meal. Full of fresh fall flavors, cranberries, pecans, and a punchy apple cider vinaigrette.
- 12 ounces of cubed butternut squash, roasted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, roasted and salted
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups cooked farro, cooled*
- 5 ounces baby kale
- 1 heaping cup arugula
- 1 Gala apple, cut into matchsticks
For the Apple Cider Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon Dijon
- 3 teaspoons honey
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Make the vinaigrette:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a glass mason jar and shake vigorously until combined. Set aside to let meld.
Roast the butternut squash and cook the farro:
- Combine the butternut squash with a splash of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until tender.
- For the farro, cook 1 cup of dried farro in 3 cups of water or stock. Add rinsed farro to a pot of water/stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain and let cool.
- Cut the apple into matchsticks and roughly chop the pecans. Toss with the kale, arugula, farro, squash, and cranberries. Dress with the vinaigrette and serve topped with additional pecans and cranberries, if desired.
*For a short-cut, try the “10 Minute Farro” from Trader Joe’s and buy fresh pre-cut and peeled butternut squash.