This hearty Fall Minestrone Soup takes inspiration from seasonal, fresh autumn produce. It’s loaded with fiber, protein, and nutrients and makes the perfect cozy fall comfort food. This post is brought to you in collaboration with S&W Beans, but as always, all opinions are my own.
Soup is the absolute best, isn’t it?
I love everything about a hearty bowl of soup—from prepping and chopping the vegetables, to stirring the simmering pot, to, of course, sitting down and getting cozy with a big bowl.
Minestrone always reminds me of my childhood. I can recall my grandma serving us piping hot bowls of the stuff, and everyone topping theirs with copious amounts of grated Parmesan cheese.
I truly challenge anyone who says “soup is not dinner.” It sure is. Especially this hearty Fall Minestrone Soup.
This Fall Minestrone Soup starts with a mirepoix, high-quality chicken broth, butternut squash, swiss chard, and lots of savory herbs. Mild Italian sausage gets mixed in along with crushed tomatoes, Ditalini pasta, and cannellini beans.
For the beans, I use S&W, one of my favorite and most trusted brands. They have tirelessly high standards and have proven them with 120 years of business. When healthy foods are convenient, that’s a wonderful thing. Heart-healthy beans are low in fat, high in protein, and nutrient rich—loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals including iron, zinc, and magnesium.
They’re such a versatile and inexpensive way to eat healthier and include more protein and fiber in your diet.
And one serving of this delicious fall-inspired soup grants you 30% of your daily recommended amount of fiber, 20g of protein, and a hefty dose of potassium and iron.
With this delicious one-pot Fall Minestrone Soup, I’m definitely looking forward to some chilly nights. I can see myself curled up next to the fireplace with a cozy blanket and a nice big bowl.
I hope you make and enjoy this Fall Minestrone Soup with Italian Sausage & Butternut Squash! What is your favorite cold-weather soup? Let us know in the comments below. Now through 12/31/17, S&W Beans is offering a $1 off 2 cans coupon. Get (and print) your coupon from the S&W Beans website.
This hearty Fall Minestrone Soup takes inspiration from seasonal, fresh autumn produce. It’s loaded with fiber, protein, and nutrients and makes the perfect cozy fall comfort food.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 2-pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups dry Ditalini pasta
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, thinly sliced into ribbons
- Sea salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a deep soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. In another pot, boil the ditalini pasta in salted water until just below al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- To the dutch oven, add the ground sausage, crumble, and season with sea salt and pepper. Cook until browned and using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the additional tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and cook the onion, celery, and carrots until softened, but not browned. Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and season with sea salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and fresh rosemary.
- Stir in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, and butternut squash. Return the sausage back to the pot, and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Cover the soup and simmer until the butternut squash is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in the Swiss chard, cooking until wilted and tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the pasta. Taste and adjust for additional seasoning.
- Serve the soup topped with shaved Parmesan cheese and additional fresh rosemary. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 700mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 24mg