Seared Polenta Rounds with Mushrooms and Caramelized Onions is an easy, elegant appetizer or light supper.
- Prepared 18-ounce organic tube of polenta
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pouch Seeds of Change® Organic Mushroom Simmer Sauce
- Shaved Parmigiano cheese
- Fresh parsley
- Sea salt + pepper, to taste
- Caramelize the onions. Heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add the sliced onions and stir gently to coat. Spread the onions in one even layer, and cook until golden brown and caramelized, stirring every 5 minutes or so for about 40 minutes (or until caramelized).
- Once caramelized, add the vegetable stock to deglaze the pan and scrape the browned bits. Add in the mushrooms and garlic, and season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are browned and tender. Stir in the mushroom sauce, lower heat, and bring to a slow simmer.
- In the meantime, cut the polenta tube into 8 even rounds. Sear the polenta rounds in a bit of olive oil and season each side with freshly cracked pepper. Cook until the polenta is golden brown on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to plates.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the polenta rounds and top with 2 teaspoons Parmigiano cheese per serving and fresh parsley. Enjoy!