This Slow-Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is hearty, delicious, and healthy to boot. It’s Whole30 compliant, paleo, and gluten-free, too!
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs and legs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 leek, sliced (green/light green parts only)
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces canned whole plum tomatoes, drained and crushed by hand
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken bone broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary (plus more for garnish)
- Sea salt and pepper
- For Garnish: additional fresh rosemary, artichoke hearts, and capers
- Season the chicken on both sides with sea salt and pepper. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron or saute pan and, working in batches, sear the chicken thighs and legs until browned on both sides. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Heat the additional tablespoon of olive oil and cook the carrots, bell pepper, celery, leek, and mushrooms until softened. Season with sea salt and pepper, stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, and then transfer the vegetables to the slow cooker.
- Drain the canned whole tomatoes and using your hands, crush the tomatoes before adding them to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the minced garlic, tomato sauce, chicken broth, capers, bay leaves, crushed pepper, oregano, and thyme. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, until the chicken is tender and easily falling apart. Stir in the fresh rosemary.
- If you would like to thicken the sauce further once done, ladle as much sauce as you can into a small saucepan and bring to a low simmer. Cook the sauce on a low simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until reduced to the thickness you’d like.
- To serve, spoon the chicken cacciatore over mashed potatoes or pasta (for non Whole30/paleo) and top with artichoke hearts, capers, and fresh rosemary. Enjoy!
Serving Suggestion: This dish is really delicious served over some half-cauliflower, half-potato mashed potatoes flavored with ghee, sea salt, and fresh herbs.
- Serving Size: 1 of 6
- Calories: 394
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 550mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 48g
- Cholesterol: 190mg