This Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup is delicious, smoky, healthy, and easy enough for a weeknight meal!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 2 14.5-oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes. not drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 15.5-oz can black beans, drained
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- For serving: fresh cilantro, lime, Greek yogurt, avocado, and yellow or blue corn tortilla chips
- Heat the avocado oil in a large saucepan until hot. Saute the onion, jalapeno, bell pepper, and garlic until softened, but not brown. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Add in the white wine and continue cooking until the wine is reduced by half.
- Sprinkle in the cumin, chipotle powder, smoked paprika, oregano, coriander, and cayenne. Stir and cook for one minute, until the seasonings are fragrant.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, corn, and black beans.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and add in the chicken breasts. Simmer the soup for 20-25 minutes, until the chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and carefully shred. Return the shredded chicken to the soup and simmer another 5-10 minutes. Taste the soup for salt and seasoning and adjust to taste. Right before serving, stir in the fresh cilantro.
- Serve the soup topped with additional cilantro, avocado, lime, Greek yogurt, and crushed corn chips. Enjoy!
// While this Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup packs a nice punch of heat, it’s really balanced. It’s not burn-your-mouth spicy, and the spice-factor can be adjusted, too.
// Want it super-hot? Keep in some of the jalapeno seeds, add a bit of cayenne pepper, or top with pickled jalapenos.
// Want it mellow? Only add half the jalapeno and dull down some of the seasonings. I really love using Chipotle Powder for this soup. It’s my secret ingredients, and gives the soup such a distinct, ultra-smoky flavor. For less heat, swap it for chili powder.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl (without toppings)
- Calories: 305
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 650mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 32g
- Cholesterol: 60mg