This Sweet and Salty Dog Birthday Cake is the perfect cake to celebrate your best furry friend’s birthday. Made with pumpkin, peanut butter, applesauce, and bacon!
For the Cake:
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (with only peanuts as an ingredient, like this brand)*
- 1/2 cup pure unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons organic raw honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 cup organic unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the Frosting/Topping:
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt**
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 4-5 slices of thick applewood-smoked bacon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8″ round baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Pan fry the thick slices of bacon until crisp. Set the bacon aside and reserve the bacon fat.
- In a large bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons of bacon fat with the peanut butter, pumpkin puree, applesauce, and honey until combined. Whisk in the eggs. Stir in the flour and baking soda until the batter is well combined, but do not over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the top of the cake springs back when touched and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes.
- Make the frosting by stirring the yogurt and peanut butter together until smooth.
- When the cake is completely cool, slice the cake in half through the middle. Fill the cake with half the frosting, and top with the rest. Decorate the cake with the cooked bacon. Enjoy!
*It’s very important to find a natural peanut butter with only peanuts in the ingredients, like the one linked above. Xylitol, a common ingredient in peanut butters, is very toxic for dogs. Other common ingredients, like palm oil and added sugar, aren’t so great either.
**It’s important to use plain Greek yogurt here, as regular yogurt will make the frosting too runny.
This makes a large cake, perfect for sharing with your doggie’s friends! If you have leftovers, you can crumble up the cake and make bite-sized cake balls. The cake balls can be kept in the freezer and defrosted as needed for treats.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 184
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 177mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 31mg