This Whole30 Salmon Chowder is delicious, creamy, healthy, and hearty. It’s so comforting that I guarantee you won’t miss the gluten or the dairy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup diced carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 4 medium)
- 1 leek, diced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 pound wild-caught salmon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 20 ounces full-fat coconut milk (1 1/2 cans)
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon potatoes, diced
- 3 ounces prosciutto, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Lemon, for serving
- Heat a deep soup pot or dutch oven with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the prosciutto until crisp and browned. Using a slotted spoon, remove the prosciutto and set aside.
- To the same pot, add the additional tablespoon of olive oil and the leek, carrots, and celery. Cook the vegetables until they start getting a bit of color. Season with sea salt and pepper. Add in the garlic.
- Add in the chicken bone broth, potatoes, lemon zest, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk.
- Meanwhile, de-skin the salmon and cut into 1-inch pieces. Add in the salmon and cook until the salmon is just cooked through and flaky, about 3-4 minutes. Check the seasoning, adding additional sea salt and pepper if necessary.
- Gently stir in the fresh parsley and dill. Discard the bay leaf and serve the chowder topped with the prosciutto, a sprinkling of herbs, and lemon wedges.
- Serving Size: 1 of 6
- Calories: 430
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 500mg
- Fat: 33g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 36mg