This Whole30 Sweet Potato Beef Chili is paleo, hearty, comforting, and healthy. Full of protein and fiber, this chili is the perfect fall meal.
- 1 1/2 pounds 85% grass-fed ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 leek, diced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and large diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups beef bone broth
- 2 14.5-ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Avocado, chopped cilantro, and pepperoncinis
- Heat the olive oil in a deep stock pot or dutch oven, and add the ground beef and red onion when hot. Season with sea salt and pepper. Crumble the beef with a wooden spoon and cook until evenly browned. Add the carrots, bell pepper, leek, sweet potatoes, and garlic to the pot. Cook until the vegetables are starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- To the beef mixture, stir in the tomato paste and all of the seasonings. Cook one minute.
- Add in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and bone broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover the chili and let simmer for 30 minutes. You can uncover it after about 20 minutes to let some of the liquid reduce for a thicker chili. Discard the bay leaves before serving. Serve topped with sliced avocado, pepperoncinis, and chopped fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 of 6
- Calories: 470
- Sugar: 9g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 46.3g
- Cholesterol: 100mg