Veggie-Loaded Alaska Salmon Cakes are crispy, delicious, and packed with Omega-3’s. They’re also incredibly easy to make thanks to convenient, quality canned Alaska salmon.
- 20 ounces canned Alaska salmon, drained
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup quality mayo
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs (as needed)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Sea salt + pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for frying
- Fresh lemon
- Melt the 3 tablespoons of butter in a saute pan and cook the onion, celery, and bell pepper until softened. Season with sea salt and pepper. Let the vegetable mixture cool completely.
- Combine the cooled vegetable mixture with the salmon, mayo, Dijon, Worcestershire, capers, Old Bay seasoning, eggs, Panko, parsley, and sea salt and pepper to taste. Mix until completely incorporated. Start with 3/4 cup of Panko and see if the mixture forms a nicely shaped cake. You can add up to 1 cup of Panko if needed.
- Let the mixture chill in the fridge for 30 minutes and shape into patties of your desired size.
- Heat a skillet with olive oil and fry the salmon cakes until golden brown on each side, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve with plenty of fresh lemon and some more fresh herbs!
Be gentle with these when frying. The key to a good salmon cake is plenty of salmon and not as much filler (breadcrumbs). You can add more breadcrumbs to “stabilize” these cakes more, but they do stay together with just 3/4 cup (chilling them helps!). Just be gentle when handling the cakes, make sure your oil is nice and hot, and try not to flip them too much (just once will do).
For the herbs, you can add all parsley or a combination of half parsley and half dill.
Try topping these salmon cakes with a tasty lemon yogurt sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 410mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 5.3g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 65mg