This beet salad includes roasted fennel, blood oranges, caramelized walnuts, and a gorgonzola vinaigrette. It is colorful, sweet, and savory.
FOR THE SALAD
- 4 beets (golden and/or red), roasted, peeled, and sliced
- 1 large fennel bulb, roasted and sliced, fronds reserved
- Olive oil, salt, and pepper
- 3 blood oranges, supremed
- 1 Cara Cara orange, supremed
- 10 ounces mixed baby greens
- Caramelized walnuts, recipe follows
- Gorgonzola vinaigrette, recipe follows
- Chopped fennel fronds
FOR THE GORGONZOLA VINAIGRETTE
- 1/2 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 ounces gorgonzola, finely crumbled
- Salt and pepper, to taste
FOR THE CANDIED WALNUTS
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- Roast the beets and fennel. Preheat the oven to 400°F and rub the beets with olive oil and salt. Wrap the beets in foil and roast until tender, about 45 minutes. Cool, peel the beets, and slice.
- Trim and core the fennel (reserving the fronds) and halve. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast for the last 30 minutes the beets are cooking until tender and caramelized. Slice the fennel into thin slices.
- Make the candied walnuts. Heat the sugar in an even layer in a skillet to make a caramel. Let the sugar caramelize until a deep golden brown. Stir in the walnuts and then pour on a parchment-lined tray immediately. Sprinkle with salt and let cool completely. Once cool, chop the walnuts.
- Make the vinaigrette. Combine the olive oil, balsamic, Dijon, gorgonzola, salt, and pepper in a shaker. Shake until emulsified.
- Assemble the salad. Arrange the sliced beets, fennel, blood oranges, and Cara Cara on top of mixed greens. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and top with the caramelized walnuts and fennel fronds.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 329
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 205mg
- Fat: 25.1g
- Carbohydrates: 25.7g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Protein: 8.8g
- Cholesterol: 10mg