This smooth, balanced, and delicious Blue Basil Whiskey Smash cocktail is the perfect end-of-summer drink.
For the Basil Syrup:
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup packed blue basil
For the Cocktail:
- 1 1/2 ounces Johnnie Walker Black Label
- 2 slices of lemon, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons Basil Syrup
- 3–4 basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- Splash of club soda
- Make the Basil Syrup: In a small saucepan, combine the water and sugar and stir. Measure out 1 packed cup of washed, torn basil leaves. Peel the zest of one lemon with a vegetable peeler or zester into long strips. Add the basil and lemon peel to the syrup and heat on medium-low until simmering. Let the syrup simmer 1 minute and remove from heat. Allow the syrup to completely cool to room temperature, strain through a fine mesh strainer, and refrigerate.
- Make the Cocktail: In a cocktail shaker, combine the lemon slices and basil leaves. Muddle. Add ice, whiskey, and basil syrup to the shaker and shake well to combine. Pour the cocktail over crushed ice and top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with additional basil, basil flowers, and lemon. Enjoy!