This buttery Grilled Ham and Cheese is the perfect weekend brunch or easy one-pan breakfast! This post is brought to you in collaboration with Maille.
A good grilled cheese is a thing of beauty.
It’s easy. Comforting. Brings you back to childhood. Somehow, a warm, gooey grilled cheese makes things feel just a little bit better.
Grilled cheese and soup night is certainly a thing in our house. There are just some days where you are too exhausted to cook or the weight of life is just a bit too heavy. You know those days.
When I do not want to cook, and when I need some comfort food, a grilled cheese is a go-to. It’s a once in a while treat, it’s nostalgic, and it’s delicious.
Not to mention, a grilled cheese is so versatile. Like this buttery, brunch-worthy grilled ham and cheese with a perfectly fried egg, peppery arugula, and tangy, bold Dijon mustard.
One morning, I created this grilled ham and cheese using ingredients I had on hand. I was inspired by a combination of the classic Croque Madame meets grilled cheese sandwich.
My secret to an amazing grilled cheese sandwich? Dijon mustard.
Hear me out.
I first learned of making grilled cheese with mustard when I saw Alton Brown do it on TV, and have been obsessed since. Dijon mustard gives a grilled cheese sandwich a whole new depth of bold, spicy flavor.
My favorite Dijon mustard is Maille Dijon Originale Mustard. I’m always experimenting with their mustard to create balanced, sweet-meets-savory recipes, such as this grilled cheese and ham or a Chicken Apple Sausage Skillet.
Maille’s mustards are creamy, balanced, and high-quality. While I used Maille Dijon Originale Mustard here, the Maille Honey Dijon Mustard would also be delicious for a slighter sweeter sandwich.
What’s your favorite way to dress up a grilled cheese? We hope that you make and enjoy this brunch-ready Grilled Ham and Cheese! Enter Maille’s giveaway to win a $500 brunch makeover here!Print
This buttery Grilled Ham and Cheese is the perfect weekend brunch or easy one-pan breakfast!
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices brioche bread
- 4 teaspoons Maille Dijon Originale Mustard
- 6 slices ham
- 4 slices cheddar, white cheddar, or Gruyere
- 1/2 cup arugula
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt one tablespoon of butter in a preheated skillet and fry the eggs to your liking. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the fried eggs to a plate.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Spread 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard on each slice of bread.
- Layer two slices of bread each with 3 slices of ham, 1 fried egg, and 2 slices of cheese. Top with 1/4 cup of arugula.
- Melt the last tablespoon of butter in the skillet and cook the sandwiches until golden brown on each side and the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes per side. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 772
- Sugar: 8.7g
- Fat: 27g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 48.2g
- Cholesterol: 244mg