Inspired by the Mediterranean diet, this Chickpea Tuna Salad is full of flavor, uses no mayo, and is packed with protein and fiber.
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Chickpea Tuna Salad
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ½ cup sliced kalamata olives
- 2 5-ounce cans albacore tuna
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- Romaine or butter lettuce, for serving
Make the Dressing
- Combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, salt, and pepper in a mason jar or bowl.
- Shake or whisk thoroughly until combined and set aside.
Make the Salad
- In a large bowl, toss together diced cucumber, roasted red peppers, grape tomatoes, chickpeas, capers, and kalamata olives.
- Gently fold in the tuna.
- Next, gently fold in the feta and fresh basil.
- Give the dressing another shake/whisk and pour it over the salad. Mix everything together until combined.
- Serve the tuna salad over lettuce and top with a tablespoon of toasted slivered almonds for crunch. Enjoy!
The recipe can easily be made dairy-free by leaving out the feta, and still tastes delicious!