Coconut Tres Leches Cake is moist, decadent, and full of rich coconut flavor. Coconut milk, coconut rum, and coconut flakes add a tropical twist to traditional Tres Leches.
For the Cake:
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
For the Tres Leches:
- 1 cup full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-oz) can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup coconut rum
For the Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13″ baking pan.
- Using a standing or hand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks with 1 1/4 cups of sugar at high speed until fluffy and light yellow, about 5-7 minutes. Whisk in the vanilla and coconut milk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add the flour mixture into the egg yolks until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- In a very clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add in 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until the egg whites form stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites into the batter in three additions, until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until golden and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes. Let cool.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the Tres Leches by whisking the coconut milk, condensed milk, evaporated milk, and coconut rum.
- When the cake is cooled (it can still be a little warm, but should not be hot), poke holes all over the entire cake using a thick skewer. Pour the milk mixture over the cake until everything is absorbed. Make sure to also soak the edges.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. Make sure the cake is covered with plastic wrap.
- To serve, whip the cream with the sugar and spread evenly over the cake. Top with shredded coconut. Refrigerate leftovers. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 serving (of 15)
- Calories: 382
- Sugar: 38g
- Sodium: 160mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 92mg