This healing, vegan detox broth is comforting, delicious, and full of detoxifying properties.
- 1 gallon filtered water
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, roughly chopped (including tops)
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced in half
- 3 parsnips, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1/2 head green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 3-inch piece of ginger, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- Sea salt to taste
- Thoroughly wash and clean all of the vegetables. You do not need to peel any of the vegetables and aromatics for this broth, but it is up to you. Peeling them (ginger, garlic, parsnips, onion) will give the broth a cleaner taste and appearance, but it is not necessary.
- Combine all of the vegetables and the water into a large stock pot. Bring to a simmer, cover with lid, and gently simmer for 90 minutes.
- Strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer and discard the vegetables. Store in mason jars or airtight containers in the refrigerator for 1 week, or freeze.
- Enjoy warm or use as a soup base or while making quinoa or rice.
You can save the vegetables you discard from the broth for another use. I will usually discard the parsley and ginger and keep the onion, parsnip, and cabbage mixture for a dinner side dish.
- Serving Size: 1 serving (2 cups)
- Calories: 52
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 45mg
- Fat: 0.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 0g