Steak crostini is the perfect holiday or special occasion appetizer! This crostini is topped with tender filet mignon, frizzled leeks, roasted tomatoes, fresh rosemary, and a dreamy horseradish cream.
For the Horseradish Cream:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Bubbies prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Roasted Tomatoes:
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes on vine
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the Crostini, Steak, and Frizzled Leeks:
- 1 baguette, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 (6-ounce) filet mignon steaks, cooked to medium-rare and thinly sliced (see notes)
- 1 leek, light green and white parts only, sliced into thin ribbons
- Oil, for frying
- Chopped fresh rosemary, for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Make the horseradish cream. Whisk together the softened, room temperature cream cheese with the mayonnaise and sour cream until smooth. Whisk in the horseradish, followed by the lemon juice, minced garlic, and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Roast the tomatoes. Spread the tomatoes in one even layer on a lined sheet tray. Toss with the rosemary sprig, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in a preheated 450° oven until blistered and starting to burst, stirring once, about 25 minutes.
- Make the crostini. Slice the baguette into 1/4″ slices and brush each side with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange on baking trays in even layers and bake in a preheated 350° oven until golden and evenly crisp, about 15-18 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. Rub each side of the crostini with the garlic clove while still warm.
- Fry the frizzled leeks. Heat 1-inch of vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet to 350 degrees. Fry the leek strips in small batches until golden (about 10-15 seconds). Using a slotted spoon, transfer the frizzled leeks to a paper towel-lined plate and season immediately with salt.
- Assemble the crostini. Smear each crostini with the horseradish cream. Top with the thinly sliced steak, 1 or 2 roasted tomatoes, a few frizzled leeks, and chopped fresh rosemary. Enjoy!
To cook filet mignon, sear steaks in a hot cast iron skillet with olive oil for 2-3 minutes per side until a crust forms. Finish cooking in a 450° oven until desired temperature is reached, about 5-7 minutes for medium-rare. Always let your steak come to room temperature before cooking and rest 5-10 minutes after cooking before slicing.
Frizzled leeks can be prepared the day ahead and stored overnight at room temperature in a sealed container. However, they taste best when made the day of.