This Gluten-Free Chicken Marsala is full of flavor, from the earthy mushrooms to the sweet wine. A touch of cream and crispy Prosciutto di Parma DOP bring this plate together—and it’s all gluten-free.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus additional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, plus additional
- 1 1/2 pounds thinly-cut chicken breasts
- 3 ounces Prosciutto di Parma DOP, torn or thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- In a shallow dish, mix together the flour, thyme, salt, and pepper. Dredge the chicken on both sides with the flour and place in the hot skillet.
- Sear the chicken breasts until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the Prosciutto di Parma DOP to the skillet with the reserved olive oil and drippings. Sear the Prosciutto until golden and crispy and some of the fat has rendered.
- Melt the butter in the skillet and once hot, add the shallot and garlic. Cook until translucent. Add in the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms until they are golden and have released their water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping the bits from the bottom of the pan. Let the wine simmer and reduce by half. Pour in the stock.
- Cook the sauce until it has thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Add the chicken back to the pan to warm through. Serve garnished with fresh parsley.
Serve this Chicken Marsala over gluten-free pasta or with mashed potatoes.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 541
- Sugar: 2.4g
- Sodium: 562mg
- Fat: 27.1g
- Saturated Fat: 10.4g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 45.6g
- Cholesterol: 164mg