Charring lemons give the dressing to this vegetarian summer salad a whole new depth. This Grilled Lemon Chickpea Salad is the perfect healthy and unique BBQ side dish.
FOR THE PICKLED SHALLOTS:
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ounce red wine
- Heavy pinch of salt
FOR THE GRILLED LEMON VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup grilled lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
FOR THE SALAD:
- 3-4 lemons, for the vinaigrette and for serving
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 Persian cucumbers, diced (2 cups)
- 1 pound mini heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Make the Quick-Pickled Shallots:
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, and red wine in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add in the thinly sliced shallots and simmer one minute. Remove from heat.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature and sit for about an hour. Strain the shallots.
Make the Vinaigrette:
- Cut the lemons in half cross-wise and brush the cut sides with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Grill the lemons over medium-high heat until heated through and charred, about 3 minutes.
- Squeeze the lemons (discarding the seeds) to measure a 1/4 cup of lemon juice. This should be about 2 or so lemons. Keep the additional grilled lemons for garnish.
- In a mason jar, combine the lemon juice with the olive oil, Dijon mustard, honey, oregano, and sea salt and pepper to taste. Shake well until combined.
Make the Salad:
- Combine the rinsed and drained chickpeas with the drained pickled shallots, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta, olives, roasted red peppers, and parsley.
- Pour over the vinaigrette and toss everything until combined.
- Serve the salad with the additional grilled lemon as garnish. Serve the salad immediately or chill in the fridge and allow to marinade overnight to deepen and balance the flavors.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 8g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 10mg