These 18 healthy bowl recipes are warm, cozy, and comforting. They’re the perfect easy breakfast, lunch, and dinners to get you through the rest of winter!
Winter here in Spokane is a little bit brutal, I have to be honest.
Even though I moved only 5-ish hours away from Portland, the weather here is drastically different than Portland’s.
In Portland, it was a huge deal when it snowed. I think it only snowed there one time during the 3+ years I lived there. It was barely a dusting, but no one knew how to drive in it, the restaurant I worked at closed down for the day, and people were literally skiing down the streets.
But here in Spokane, the temperatures are much, much colder and we have snow (and lots of it) on the ground pretty much from December to March.
I’m not trying to be a baby or complain, but also: I’M FREEZING. When I have to leave the house it’s a nightmare. The road conditions are horrible and the city apparently doesn’t believe in plowing my neighborhood. We also live in an area called the South Hill, and it’s—you guessed it—a giant darn hill that is such a pain to drive up in the snow in our little Kia. So when I’m home, that’s it. I’m living in my super-fuzzy leopard socks, layered in sweatshirts, and wrapped in my cozy blush sweater-knit Target blanket. Don’t make me leave the house.
Oh, and I’m also eating one of these healthy bowls to keep me warm. From breakfast to dinner, these bowls are cozy and comforting. They’re easy to make, too. And nothing quite warms me up like a nourishing bowl of one of these. (Is it just me, or is food always 100x more comforting in bowl-form?)
If you live somewhere with negative temperatures and brutal winters, I’m sure you can appreciate these, too!
Here are 18 cozy and healthy bowl recipes to keep you warm and nourished all winter.
Cozy + Healthy Bowl Recipes: Breakfast Bowls
- Vegan Quinoa Porridge with Roasted Citrus: It doesn’t get much cozier than a warm bowl of porridge. Those three little bears were onto something, ya’ll. This recipe is also vegan and loaded with nutrients, fiber, and protein. Cara Cara oranges and grapefruit get roasted until caramelized with a touch of coconut oil, sea salt, and cinnamon for a bright and tasty topping. Grab the recipe here!
- Whole30 Chia Pudding with Bananas and Macadamia Nuts: This paleo and Whole30-approved breakfast chia pudding is only 5 ingredients and incredibly easy to make. Just let the pudding sit in the fridge overnight and it’s creamy and ready-to-go by the morning. Warm it up in the microwave for a hot breakfast and top it with anything you’d like. I like mine with bananas, cinnamon, and macadamia nuts. Grab the recipe here!
- Farro Breakfast Bowls with Za’atar and Lemon Tahini: Grain bowls for breakfast? Sure, why not? This antioxidant-rich bowl is loaded with protein, fiber, and Omega-3 fatty acids and will keep you full all morning. This cozy breakfast bowl is topped with garlicky kale and mushrooms, egg, avocado, za’atar, and an easy raw tahini sauce. Grab the recipe here!
Cozy + Healthy Bowl Recipes: Grain Bowls
- Ahi Tuna Protein Poke Bowls: Okay, so who’s dreaming of warm and tropical climates this winter? (Raises hand.) Nothing makes me miss Hawaii and San Diego more than the winter, but at least this poke bowl can help transport me back there for a few minutes. This grain bowl is layered with protein-packed brown jasmine rice and red quinoa, ahi tuna poke, mango, avocado, and lime. I like to refer to it as aloha in a bowl. Grab the recipe here!
- Harvest Farro Bowls with Kale and Butternut Squash: Can you guys tell I have a thing for farro? Especially in these tasty salads bowls—loaded with superfood kale, roasted butternut squash, and a dijon- and honey-laced Apple Cider Vinaigrette. Grab the recipe here!
- Kale and Chicken Wild Rice Salad with Grapes and Goat Cheese: How to make a kale salad next-level? Add wild rice, seasoned chicken breast, toasted almonds, creamy goat cheese, and a tasty and tangy Balsamic Vinaigrette. Grab the recipe here!
Cozy + Healthy Bowl Recipes: Plant-Based Goodness
- Roasted Sweet Potato Quinoa Bowls with Lemon Yogurt Sauce: Follow the tips in this post for the fluffiest and tastiest quinoa. Then, top it with roasted asparagus and sweet potatoes, baby kale, and a creamy, lemony herb-yogurt sauce. Grab the recipe here!
- Vegan Lentil Stew with Sweet Potato and Collard Greens: This vegan stew is one of my all-time favorites. It’s loaded with veggies, fiber, and healthy fats. Cumin, turmeric, thyme, and curry are just a few of the herbs and spices in this nourishing and ultra-cozy bowl. Grab the recipe here!
- Vegan Black Bean Fajita Bowls: I’m all about easy dinners that are full of nutrients and flavor. This fajita bowl is that. Packed with plant-based protein, cilantro-lime brown rice, and flavorful sauteed veggies. This post also shows you how to create the perfect, balanced bowl by going over the correct portions for grains, protein, veggies, and fruit. Grab the recipe here!
Cozy + Healthy Bowl Recipes: Comforting Soups
- Butternut Squash Apple Soup with Bacon and Cornbread Croutons: Holy comfort, Batman! Salty bacon, creamy crème fraîche, and crispy cornbread croutons take this recipe over the top. But it’s just as good without the toppings, so you can definitely lighten up this cozy soup. Grab the recipe here!
- Vegan Broccoli Kale Soup with Crispy Chickpeas: Crispy roasted chickpeas give this creamy soup great texture. This vegan soup is made creamy thanks to tahini, and loaded with tons of different green veggies like broccoli, zucchini, kale, and spinach. Grab the recipe here!
- Hazelnut Parsnip Soup: This soup is inspired by the Disney movie Tangled, because it’s Rapunzel’s favorite soup. And I hope it’ll be yours, too! This creamy soup has ten ingredients and is loaded with flavor. Grab the recipe here!
Comforting Bowl Recipes: Chili + Stews
- Whole30 Sweet Potato Beef Chili: This Whole30 Sweet Potato Beef Chili is paleo, hearty, and the perfect cold weather comfort food. It’s full of fiber and one serving meets your entire daily recommended value of protein. Grab the recipe here!
- Hearty Healthy Turkey and Bean Chili: Delicious Turkey and Bean Chili is hearty, comforting, and perfect for a chilly winter day. It uses a special ingredient of raw cocao to balance and mellow the spices. Grab the recipe here!
- Slow Cooker Paleo Beef Stew: Let your crock pot do all of the work for you and make this hearty beef stew. It is paleo and Whole30 compliant and uses rich beef bone broth as the base. Grab the recipe here!
Comforting Bowl Recipes: Pasta-Lovin’ Bowls
- Minestrone Soup with Italian Sausage and Butternut Squash: This hearty minestrone soup takes inspiration from seasonal, fresh produce. It’s loaded with fiber, protein, and nutrients and makes the perfect cozy winter comfort food. Grab the recipe here!
- Lightened Up Chicken Alfredo: This lightened up Chicken Alfredo gets a make-over; made with nutritious zucchini noodles, a lighter, cheesy Alfredo sauce, and plenty of herbs and spices. It’s decadent, delicious, and healthy. Grab the recipe here!
- Pumpkin Bacon Mac and Cheese: This Pumpkin Bacon Mac and Cheese is an easy, decadent dish. It’s ultra creamy, comes together right on the stove-top, and is laced with your favorite cozy winter flavors. Grab the recipe here!
Which cozy cold weather bowl recipes are you most excited to try first? Let us know in the comments below, or Pin this round-up for later!
Thank you for your recipes, and for the insight about moving from Portland to Spokane!
You have a great list of good food and recipe here. My favorite is Roasted Sweet Potato Quinoa Bowls with Lemon Yogurt Sauce. This will make my breakfast full of nutrient to start the day.
It is definitely cold! We live in CDA and we have feet of snow. I’m looking forward to spring around the corner. Then the weather is gorgeous! A tasty recipe is always the perfect fix for a cold winter day. I love soups and pastas. Yum!
Sara Welch says
I used to live in Snohomish, and I remember how cold it could get! These are great recipes for cold or wet weather, for sure!
Vanessa Delia says
It hasn’t been too bad here in Cali. However, I still love me some comfort food! YUM!
Girl you are a snow warrior, I’d probably die! These bowls you created are dynamite! My husband says I love anything that comes in a bowl! Which is true! Pumpkin Mac and cheese why didn’t I think of that lol i love every single recipe you posted! I’m quite obsessed and will be making some of them for sure
John Mulindi says
Although we do not have winter over here, these recipes looks great. The family will definitely enjoy this.
Oh wow, you had me at healthy abd delicious. Those were a winner! Everything looks so healthy and perfect.
Nicole Bertrand says
I’d love to try that poke bowl…but I”m scared about handling raw fish on my own. Has that ever concerned you??
As long as you get it from a great source, nope! It’s not that scary, promise. 🙂 I get mine from a local organic grocer and don’t be afraid to chat with the seafood department. Just make sure you’re getting sushi-grade tuna!
Catherine Santiago Jose says
All these recipes looks really delicious and I am sure it will definitely bring a good smile to my family if I make some of these recipes. Thanks for sharing!
The kale recipes are definitely one that I would love. All of the recipes look yummy. Bowls have become the new it thing.
Shannon Lyon says
Wow, I need all of these in my life! Thanks for sharing and love your site!
Yum! I’m all about bowls right now. We tend to make the same one all the time. I have to try some of these.
Dennis Littley says
These bowls are great for variety and they look pretty delicious! We could use some warm and cozy comfort bowls to stay nourished and warm.
Scott Gombar says
18 recipes!! These are great and I cannot wait to try some of them. Nothing like a hot bowl in the cold winter months.
omg i don’t know which one to cook first, they all look amazing!!! Maybe the Chili Stew. Thank you so much for the recipes.