These Pizza Stuffed Zucchini Boats are made with ground turkey, quality marinara, cheese, and all the fixin’s! They’re an easy and healthy meal.
- 6 large zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 24-oz jar Rao’s Homemade Marinara Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 1/4 cup pepperoncinis
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice zucchini in half length-wise and scoop out the centers*, leaving some flesh on the bottom and sides but creating a hole for the filling. Set the zucchini on baking trays.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan and cook the shallot and garlic until softened. Add the ground turkey and cook until cooked through, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Season with sea salt, pepper, and the thyme, oregano, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Add in half the jar of marinara (reserving the rest for serving). Cook until bubbling and remove from heat.
- Spoon the turkey and marinara filling into the zucchini boats. Top with mozzarella and sprinkling of Parmesan. Arrange thinly sliced mushrooms, olives, and peppers on top. Sprinkle with some additional cheese.
- Bake the zucchini boats until the boats are tender and the cheese and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes.
- Warm the rest of the marinara sauce and serve the zucchini boats with additional marinara, Parmesan, and topped with some pepperoncini peppers.
*Reserve the scooped out zucchini for bread, muffins, or scrambles/omelets.
To make this recipe paleo or Whole30, omit the cheeses. Rao’s Marinara is Whole30 compliant.
- Serving Size: 1 serving (two zucchini halves)
- Calories: 374
- Sugar: 8.2g
- Sodium: 610mg
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 35g
- Cholesterol: 99mg