This hearty Fall Minestrone Soup takes inspiration from seasonal, fresh autumn produce. It’s loaded with fiber, protein, and nutrients and makes the perfect cozy fall comfort food.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 2-pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups dry Ditalini pasta
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, thinly sliced into ribbons
- Sea salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a deep soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. In another pot, boil the ditalini pasta in salted water until just below al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- To the dutch oven, add the ground sausage, crumble, and season with sea salt and pepper. Cook until browned and using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the additional tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and cook the onion, celery, and carrots until softened, but not browned. Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and season with sea salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and fresh rosemary.
- Stir in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, beans, and butternut squash. Return the sausage back to the pot, and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Cover the soup and simmer until the butternut squash is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in the Swiss chard, cooking until wilted and tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the pasta. Taste and adjust for additional seasoning.
- Serve the soup topped with shaved Parmesan cheese and additional fresh rosemary. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 700mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 24mg