This Kale, Tomato, and White Bean Soup is savory, comforting, and hearty. It’s the perfect healthy dish for a chilly winter night.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek, diced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup of diced and peeled Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 28-ounce can diced organic tomatoes
- 32 ounces of organic vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can organic garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can organic cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large bunch of Lacinato kale, stemmed, deveined, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for serving (optional; leave out for vegan)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large soup or stock pot over medium heat. Add in the garlic, leek, onion, celery, and carrots. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until softened, but not browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the diced tomato and fresh herbs and cook another 5 minutes until fragrant. Add in the vegetable broth and potato. Bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add in the kale and the beans, mashing half of the cannellini beans before adding. Lower the heat, cover, and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and all of the flavors have melded.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan and warm crusty bread.