This Italian Chopped Kale Salad combines kale, radicchio, and romaine with all of the delicious goodies typical of an Italian chopped salad and a tangy Lemon Oregano Vinaigrette.
For the Lemon Oregano Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about one large lemon)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch hearts of romaine, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, stems and ribs removed, chopped
- 1 cup chopped radicchio lettuce
- 1 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped pepperoncini
- 2.5 ounces Calabrese salami, sliced into thin ribbons
- 4 ounces provolone, sliced into thin ribbons
- 3/4 cup chopped marinated artichokes
- 1 cup sliced black olives
Make the Vinaigrette:
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar and shake vigorously until combined and emulsified.
Assemble the Salad:
- Wash the romaine leaves, radicchio, and kale. Stem the kale and chop all of the lettuce into equal bite-sized pieces.
- Slice or chop all of the ingredients according to the above instructions.
- Toss and combine all of the salad ingredients with the dressing until thoroughly mixed.
- You can use as much dressing to your taste. I used 3/4 of the dressing, but you may need all of it depending on how large your kale and romaine bunches were.
- Garnish the salad bowls with freshly-cracked pepper and oregano.
- Store any leftover dressing (if you have any) in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.