Seared Polenta Rounds with Mushrooms and Caramelized Onions is an easy, elegant appetizer or light supper. This post is brought to you in collaboration with Seeds of Change® Organic Simmer Sauces.
I love polenta. And what I love even more than polenta? Prepared polenta. Those convenient organic tubes of high-quality polenta are readily available at most supermarkets, and what a time saver. I particularly love slicing them into rounds and searing them, which gives them a crispy exterior and a creamy center. These tasty little rounds are also ideal for topping with things, like ratatouille or your favorite sauces. They can even serve as a hand-held party appetizer.
I’ve made seared polenta rounds on the blog before, but they’re back again. When I want an elegant appetizer or a light vegetarian dinner, these polenta rounds with mushrooms and caramelized onions are my go-to.
They look beautiful, and they taste amazing.
I mean, you can’t really go wrong with polenta and cheese, right?
These Seared Polenta Rounds with Mushrooms and Caramelized Onions are gluten-free, vegetarian, and fairly light and healthy compared to your typical Italian-inspired fare.
When I’m looking for a quick but impressive meal, I already mentioned that prepared polenta is one of my favorite timesavers. But now I have another one. While I usually make my own sauce for these mushroom-topped polenta rounds, I decided to try the new Seeds of Change® simmer sauces. I noticed they have a mushroom simmer sauce, along with their Sweet and Sour, Taco Roasted Chipotle, Tikka Masala, and Sesame Ginger Teriyaki. I’m a huge fan of their other products, and now a huge fan of these simmer sauces as well. They are certified organic, made with minimal ingredients, and have absolutely no added preservatives, artificial colors, or artificial flavors. I love the easy-to-pour pouch, too! Using these sauces is one of my favorite healthy meal shortcuts. I also love the company’s support of sustainable, local farming and growing programs. To date, they have donated more than 1 million dollars towards these causes.
Pretty amazing, right? It’s also amazing how easily this polenta dish is. Caramelizing the onions is the only thing time consuming here, but it’s worth it. If you don’t have the time, you can skip that step and this meal would be on the table in about 20 minutes or less.
Seared Polenta Rounds with Mushrooms and Caramelized Onions is an easy, elegant appetizer or light supper.
- Prepared 18-ounce organic tube of polenta
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pouch Seeds of Change® Organic Mushroom Simmer Sauce
- Shaved Parmigiano cheese
- Fresh parsley
- Sea salt + pepper, to taste
- Caramelize the onions. Heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add the sliced onions and stir gently to coat. Spread the onions in one even layer, and cook until golden brown and caramelized, stirring every 5 minutes or so for about 40 minutes (or until caramelized).
- Once caramelized, add the vegetable stock to deglaze the pan and scrape the browned bits. Add in the mushrooms and garlic, and season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are browned and tender. Stir in the mushroom sauce, lower heat, and bring to a slow simmer.
- In the meantime, cut the polenta tube into 8 even rounds. Sear the polenta rounds in a bit of olive oil and season each side with freshly cracked pepper. Cook until the polenta is golden brown on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to plates.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the polenta rounds and top with 2 teaspoons Parmigiano cheese per serving and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
I hope that you’ve enjoyed these Seared Polenta Rounds with Mushrooms and Caramelized Onions. Which flavor of Seeds of Change simmer sauces would you like to try? Let me know in the comments below!