Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Puff Pastry Pinwheels are the perfect holiday appetizer. These pinwheels are delicious, elegant, and simple to make.
- 3 slices thick applewood smoked bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed in the refrigerator overnight
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup Tillamook Farmstyle Thick Cut Sharp Cheddar Shreds
- Egg wash
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the diced bacon in a hot skillet until crispy. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon and transfer to a plate.
- Leave 1 tablespoon of bacon fat in the pan, and add the butter to the bacon fat. Once hot, add the onions. Cook until softened and golden. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the apples and continue cooking until the apples are very soft and golden. Stir in the Dijon and the honey. Stir back in the bacon and cook a few more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Roll out thawed (but cold) puff pastry into a 9″x13″ rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
- Stir the rosemary into the softened cream cheese to combine. Smear the puff pastry with the cream cheese until almost at the ends, leaving a 1/2″ border on all sides.
- On top of the cream cheese, evenly spread the apple and bacon mixture. Press down to pack the mixture on and flatten it. Evenly top with the shredded cheese. Brush the ends with egg wash to seal.
- Starting from the long end, roll the puff pastry into a log. Pinch the edges of the log to seal, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Trim off the edges and slice the puff pastry into 3/4″ pinwheels. Arrange on parchment-lined sheet pans and brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Top with more fresh rosemary, if desired. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1 pinwheel
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 3.8g
- Sodium: 170mg
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrates: 10.3g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 15mg