Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies are a delicious, individually-portioned dessert. These pies have a tender, flaky all-butter pie dough and are filled with cinnamon apples and rich caramel.
For the Pie Dough:
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 sticks cubed butter, very cold
- 6–8 tablespoons of ice water
For the Filling:
- 3 apples, cubed (a mix of sweet-tart apples such as Golden Delicious, Fuji, Jonagolds)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup salted caramel sauce
For the Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Egg wash
For the Pie Dough:
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add cubed, very cold butter and pulse until butter is the size of large peas. Add 6 tablespoons of ice water and pulse until the mixture is combined and moist but not wet. Add additional ice water if needed.
- Remove from food processor and gently knead on a floured surface until combined. Split dough in half and plastic wrap each half, forming into a square. Chill overnight or for at least 2 hours.
Make the Salted Caramel Sauce:
- Sprinkle the sugar in a large saute pan in an even layer. Heat over medium heat. Do not mess with it or stir it at all. Once the sugar begins to dissolve and caramelize, start to stir where the sugar is caramelizing. Continue to stir the sugar until it is evenly dissolved and amber brown. Be careful not to let the sugar darken too much or burn.
- Once the sugar is evenly dissolved and caramelized, add in the room temperature butter and whisk vigorously until combined. Whisk until the butter is completely melted, then slowly pour in the cream while continuing to whisk. (Heating the cream slightly in the microwave will limit how much the cream bubbles up, but be careful as the cream will bubble when added to the hot caramel.) Whisk the caramel until it comes back to a boil and bubbles up slightly. Remove from heat and stir in the salt. Place in a bowl and allow to cool.
For the Apple Filling:
- Peel, core, and dice the apples into 1″ cubes. Sprinkle the apples with the flour and the cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Toss to combine. Add in the lemon juice, brown sugar, and about 1/2 the salted caramel (1/2 cup). Mix thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove pie dough from the fridge and let sit at room temperature about 10 minutes.
- Working with one half at a time, roll pie dough out on a well-floured surface until about ⅛ inch thick.
- Using a 5″ round cutter (a cookie cutter, bowl, or pot lid will work), cut dough into 10-12 circles, re-rolling the scraps of dough not more than once.
- Egg wash (one egg + a splash of water mixed well) the entire edge of each circle.
- Add 2 tablespoons of filling to the center of each circle, folding one half over to create a half-moon.
- Seal the edges very well with a fork. Place pies in the freezer until cold, about 10 minutes.
- Remove pies from freezer and egg wash the tops. Cut three slits in the center of the pie.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before serving and drizzle with additional salted caramel sauce to serve.