Dairy-free, fudgy Coconut Oil Brownies are baked in a cast iron skillet for a rich, decadent treat. This skillet brownie is perfect both spooned warm from the pan with ice cream or cut into wedges.
- ½ cup coconut oil, measured in liquid state
- 5 ounces semi-sweet or dark chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 10” skillet very well with butter, coconut oil, or baking spray.
- Using a water bath or the microwave, slowly melt the coconut oil and chocolate until smooth and melted, stirring frequently. (If using the microwave, only heat in 15 second intervals, stirring between.)
- To the coconut oil mixture, whisk in the sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Add to the bowl and fold into the batter until completely incorporated, but do not overmix.
- Pour the brownie batter into the skillet and transfer to the oven. Bake until the edges are set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean with a few crumbs, about 25 minutes. This will result in a fudgy brownie.
- Let the brownie cool 5 minutes and serve warm with ice cream, or let cool completely for an hour and cut into 8-10 wedges.
Substitution Tip: Use dark chocolate to make this brownie dairy-free.
Cooking Tip: You could also make this recipe into 4 individual brownie skillets. Bake in 3 ½” mini cast iron pans and serve each topped with ice cream.
Storage Tip: This recipe will keep wrapped airtight in plastic for 2-3 days at room temperature and remain fudgy and moist.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 274
- Sugar: 24.5g
- Sodium: 142mg
- Fat: 16.2g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 36mg