These sour cream cookies are soft, fluffy, and so simple to make. They require no chilling and are glazed in a sweet lemon icing.
For the Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 8-ounce container FAGE Sour Cream, cold
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Lemon Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1–2 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line baking sheet trays with parchment paper.
- Using a handheld or standing mixer, cream the room temperature butter with the sugar until lightened and fully combined.
- Mix in the sour cream until incorporated, then the eggs.
- Mix in the vanilla and lemon zest.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry mixture into the butter mixture in 3 additions, mixing until each addition is just combined. Do not overmix. Scrape down the sides between each addition.
- Using a medium (#40) cookie scooper, scoop out dough on to parchment-lined baking pans 2 inches apart.
- Gently press down the tops of the cookies slightly. Bake until the edges are just golden, about 10-12 minutes.
- Make the glaze. Whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice together and thin out with milk until desired consistency (1-2 tablespoons). Icing should be thick but spreadable.
- Glaze the cookies and top with sprinkles. Let the icing dry. Enjoy!
Don’t like lemon? Leave out the lemon in the icing and just use milk. You can flavor the glaze with almond extract, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, or any fruit zest/juice or spices you’d like.
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.