Spiced Honey Orange Margaritas, made with tequila and Agavero, is a lovely fall-inspired drink that’s sweetened with a spice-infused honey simple syrup.
For the Spiced Honey Syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 4 whole star anise
- 1 1/2 full cinnamon sticks
- 1 3″ piece peeled fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 long strips of orange peel
For the Sweet-and-Salty Orange Rim:
- 2 teaspoons pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
For the Cocktail:
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila (recommended: Gran Centenario Plata)
- 1 ounce Agavero Orange
- 1 ounce Spiced Honey Syrup
- 1 ounce fresh orange juice
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- For Garnish: orange or lemon slices, cinnamon stick, or star anise
- Make the Spiced Honey Syrup. In a small saucepan, combine the water, honey, sugar, star anise, cinnamon, sliced ginger, and orange peel. Bring to a simmer. Simmer one minute and remove from heat. Let cool completely. Store in a mason jar in the refrigerator overnight to infuse, then strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer.
- Make the sweet-and-salty orange rim. Combine the sea salt, sugar, and orange zest. Muddle together and spread out on a small, shallow dish. Rim the edge of a margarita or coupe glass with a slice of orange to wet, then dip the edge into the sugar to coat.
- Make the cocktail. In a cocktail shaker, mix the tequila, Agavero, fresh lemon and orange juice, and Spiced Honey Syrup with ice. Shake and strain into the rimmed glasses. Garnish with orange zest, an orange slice, and a cinnamon stick. Enjoy!
Leftover Spiced Honey Syrup can be kept in the fridge (strained) for 2-3 weeks. Use it for other cocktails, iced tea, or in desserts!