This Strawberry Gin Basil Smash is refreshing, fruity, and not too sweet. Basil pairs perfectly with strawberries to create a balanced, pretty pink cocktail.
For the Strawberry-Basil Simple Syrup:
- 8 ounces strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
For the Strawberry Basil Gin Smash:
- 3 ounces gin
- 4 tablespoons strawberry-basil syrup
- club soda, for topping
- 1 lime wedge
- fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- strawberries, for garnish
Make the Strawberry-Basil Syrup
- Combine the strawberries, water, sugar, and honey in a small sauce pot. Bring to a simmer and stir gently to dissolve.
- Add in the basil and simmer until the mixture is a bright red, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let infuse 5 minutes.
- Pour the syrup through a fine mesh strainer to remove the strawberries and basil. Don’t press down on the leftover strawberries or your syrup will get cloudy. Let the syrup cool completely.
Make the Cocktails
- For each cocktail, combine the gin and syrup over ice. Top with club soda and garnish with lime, basil, and strawberries.
For stronger basil flavor, muddle some basil in the glass before assembling.
Keep leftover syrup in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. The syrup is also great for making homemade sodas!