This Strawberry Shortcake Skillet combines honeyed strawberries, flaky shortcakes, and lightly whipped cream for all of the flavors of a classic strawberry shortcake in one pan! Easy, fuss-free, and delicious. This post is brought to you in collaboration with Clabber Girl® Baking Powder.
What was your favorite dessert growing up?
For me, strawberry shortcake made the top of my list. I mean, what isn’t to love about it? Tender, sugared strawberries. Buttery, flaky dough. Heaping mounds of fluffy whipped cream clouds.
Strawberry shortcake also always reminds me of the start of spring, because we always had it as an Easter dessert and for my birthday at the end of March.
But here’s the thing: Making strawberry shortcake can get pretty time consuming, especially when you need to feed a crowd. Individually baking, slicing, and filling 30 shortcakes? Not my favorite.
So instead, I created this Strawberry Shortcake Skillet. It’s one pan, quick, and simple. The perfect no-fuss spring or Easter dessert.
It’s one of my favorite tricks for people who are hosting holidays for the first time, too. Skillet or one-pan desserts are easy to prepare and can be made ahead, allowing for stress-free entertaining.
The sticky sweet filling is made with just a few simple ingredients:
- fresh strawberries
- fresh lemon juice
- cornstarch, to thicken
Next, the strawberry filling gets crowned by an easy shortcake dough that whips up in a few minutes and gets golden brown in the oven.
Shortcake dough is seamless to make. Just flour, sugar, salt, butter, and heavy cream form magic.
But one of the most important ingredients in shortcakes is the baking powder. This allows the shortcakes to rise and become tender, fluffy mounds.
In fact, that was the whole intention behind classic strawberry shortcake — a quick and easy dessert made with biscuits (quickbread). This was much faster to make because biscuits used baking powder, opposed to yeast.
The brand I always have on hand — from a little girl to culinary school to today — is Clabber Girl® Baking Powder.
Clabber Girl has been trusted by bakers since 1850, so it isn’t a surprise that it’s the #1 brand of baking powder in America.
Just like this redefined classic Strawberry Shortcake Skillet, baking powder is used to increase the volume and lighten the texture of baked goods. If you find yourself baking this season, trusted staples like Clabber Girl Baking Powder and Baker’s Joy Nonstick Baking Spray will make your life so much easier.
What’s your favorite spring dessert? Let us know in the comments below! We hope that you love this easy, one-pan Strawberry Shortcake Skillet.Print
Strawberry Shortcake Skillet
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
This Strawberry Shortcake Skillet combines honeyed strawberries, flaky shortcakes, and lightly whipped cream for all of the flavors of a classic strawberry shortcake in one pan!
For the strawberries
- 2 pounds strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup honey
For the shortcake topping
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- ½ cup heavy cream
For the whipped cream
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease a 10” skillet with butter or Baker’s Joy spray.
- Toss the strawberries, lemon juice, cornstarch, sugar, and honey in a bowl until combined. Transfer to the skillet.
- To make the topping, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the butter into the flour until pea-sized pieces remain. Pour in the heavy cream and mix until just combined.
- Spoon mounds of the mixture, flatten slightly, and evenly top the strawberries with the shortcake dough. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until the topping is golden brown and the mixture is bubbling and thickened, about 30-35 minutes. Let cool for at least 10 minutes.
- To make whipped cream, beat 1 cup of very cold heavy cream, 2 tablespoons of sugar or honey, and ½ teaspoon of vanilla until medium peaks form.
- Serve the whipped cream over warm shortcake. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 482
- Sugar: 44.3g
- Sodium: 171mg
- Fat: 19.6g
- Saturated Fat: 11.9g
- Carbohydrates: 76.7g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
Leave a Reply