Vegan Quinoa Porridge is the perfect cozy winter breakfast, and even better when it’s topped with bright roasted citrus.
For the Roasted Citrus:
- 3 cara cara oranges
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch ground cinnamon
For the Quinoa Porridge:
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (plus more for serving)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Pinch salt
- Chopped almonds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. With a sharp knife, peel the skin and outer pith of the oranges and grapefruit. Then, slice into rounds and arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with coconut oil and a pinch of salt and cinnamon. Roast for 10-12 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the quinoa and place in a pot with the almond milk. Scrape out the vanilla bean seeds and add the seeds, along with the whole pod, into the pot. Add a pinch of salt and bring the quinoa mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and keep the quinoa at a steady, low simmer for 15 minutes. Keep an eye on the pot to ensure it doesn’t boil over.
- At 15 minutes, remove the pot from the heat and let stand 5 minutes (with the lid still on) until all of the milk is absorbed.
- Remove the vanilla bean. Gently stir in the maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, and freshly grated ginger.
- Scoop the quinoa into bowls and pour warm almond milk over the top. Top with the chopped almonds and the roasted citrus. Enjoy!