Delicious, hearty vegan lentil stew that is comforting, filling, and perfect for a chilly night at home. Loaded with veggies, greens, and sweet potato.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken for non-vegetarian)
- 2 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bunch collard greens, stem and ribs removed and cut into thin ribbons
- Pinch chili flakes
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Drizzle of olive oil
Additional Serving Ideas:
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Pickled jalapenos
- Shredded cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add diced onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook until softened but not browned (about 7-10 minutes).
- Add in the entire can of fire-roasted tomatoes, a heavy pinch of sea salt and pepper, cumin, turmeric, oregano, curry, chili flakes, and thyme. Stir.
- Add broth and water; bring to a simmer.
- Add rinsed lentils. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- At 15 minutes, add diced sweet potatoes.
- Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes, until lentils and potato are tender. Add your collard greens the last 5-10 minutes of cooking.
- Taste and adjust your seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls topped with avocado, fresh squeezed lime, and a drizzle of olive oil.