This Whole30 Burger is a delicious paleo, dairy-free, and gluten-free option. It’s made even lighter with the addition of mushrooms in the patty itself, and a portobello bun.
For the Burger:
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound 80% grass-fed ground beef
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- Sea salt and pepper
For the Roasted Red Pepper Basil Sauce:
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 3/4 cup compliant (preferably homemade) mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Caramelized shallots see notes
- Portobello burger buns see notes
- Make the burgers. In a hot saute pan, heat the olive oil and saute the mushrooms until golden and soft. Add the garlic the last minute. Season with sea salt and pepper and let cool 5 minutes.
- When cool, gently combine the mushrooms with the ground beef and coconut aminos. Gently form into 4 patties, trying not to overwork the beef. Season each side of the patties with sea salt and pepper.
- Grill or pan sear the burgers to your desired doneness. If serving with portobello buns and caramelized shallots, see notes.
- Make the red pepper sauce. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Can be made ahead and covered in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- Assemble the burgers. Sandwich the burger with your preferred bun (see notes for portobello buns), top with the roasted red pepper sauce and the caramelized shallots, if using. Enjoy!
If using portobello buns: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Clean and de-stem mushrooms caps. Place mushrooms upside down on a prepared baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Roast until tender, about 20-25 minutes, flipping the caps over half-way through baking.
For toppings: I like to top these burgers with caramelized shallots and think the flavors pair really well. To caramelize shallots, simply thinly slice them and cook in olive oil over medium-low heat until golden and caramelized. Other great Whole30 toppings include fresh spinach, red onion, avocado, and (of course) compliant bacon.
- Serving Size: 1 burger (with portobello bun and sauce)
- Calories: 478
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 39g
- Cholesterol: 90mg