These healthy and veggie-packed Farro Breakfast Bowls are full of flavor thanks to easy, make-your-own za’atar and a creamy lemon tahini sauce.
For the Za’atar:
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
For the Tahini Sauce:
- 1/4 cup raw tahini
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 3–5 tablespoons warm water
For the Farro Bowls:
- 1 cup dry farro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 eggs
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 heaping cup sliced grape tomatoes
- Za’atar and tahini sauce
Cook the farro:
- Cook 1 cup of dried farro in 3 cups of water or stock. Add rinsed farro to a pot of water/stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain. While the farro is cooking, prepare everything else.
Make the za’atar:
- Combine all of the ingredients and set aside.
Make the tahini sauce:
- Whisk the tahini, lemon juice, sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Whisk in the warm water until your desired consistency. Set aside.
Cook and assemble:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saute pan and cook the onion, mushrooms, and garlic until softened. Season with sea salt and pepper and add in the kale. Cook just until wilted. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat a little more olive oil or butter and fry the eggs to your liking. (Recommended: over-easy). Season with sea salt and pepper.
- To the cooked and drained farro, drizzle with olive oil and 1 tablespoon za’atar. Stir gently to combine well.
- Assemble your bowls. Divide the farro among 4 bowls. Top with the kale mixture, tomatoes, sliced avocado, and one fried egg.
- Drizzle tahini on each bowl and sprinkle with additional za’atar. Enjoy!
Store leftover za’atar in an air-tight bag or container and use for topping hummus, yogurt, or dipping with olive oil and pita bread.