Vegan lemon and coconut cupcakes are topped with a raspberry frosting made from coconut butter and coconut oil.
For the Cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup coconut butter
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raspberry puree (from about 12 ounces of fresh raspberries)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Fresh raspberries, for garnish
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a measuring cup or container, combine the almond milk, coconut milk, lemon extract, and the zest and juice from one lemon. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl or container, combine the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted coconut oil, agave, and cane sugar. Whisk well until combined.
- Add a third of the flour mixture and whisk. Add a third of the wet mixture and mix well. Continue alternating between the flour and wet mixture, adding a third of each at a time.
- Mix well but do not over-mix (a few lumps are okay).
- Fill each cupcake liner about a third of the way full and bake cupcakes until they spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 22-25 minutes.
- Puree the fresh raspberries and strain through a fine mesh strainer. Measure out 1/2 a cup.
- Gently melt the coconut butter until almond butter consistency. Soften the coconut oil until room temperature, but not melted. Blend the coconut butter in a high-speed blender with the coconut oil until incorporated.
- Add in the raspberry, vanilla, and agave. Blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Place the mixture in a bowl and slowly whisk in the powdered sugar until no lumps remain.
- Refrigerate the frosting until thickened, about a 30-45 minutes.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and top with a fresh raspberry.