Sous Vide Spiked Hot Chocolate is a fun spin on a winter favorite. Think outside the sous vide box and create a delicious, creamy cocktail. This post is brought to you in collaboration with Cuisine Solutions.
So, yes, I’m pretty obsessed with my sous vide. Obsessed enough to make spiked hot chocolate with it.
I first started sous vide cooking when I worked at a Michelin-star restaurant in New York City 12 years ago.
It was fairly new and innovative then, and definitely not as accessible as it is now to do at home.
I watched in complete awe as the chefs in the restaurant vacuum-sealed and sous vide cooked meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, and just about anything else. Now I can do it at home, using an App on my smartphone. Crazy.
So, first: what is sous vide and how do you do it?
There’s just three things I recommend when it comes to successful sous vide cooking:
- A reliable cooker. I highly recommend this one, which connects to your phone via Bluetooth and has a great App.
- A vacuum sealing system and bags.
- A little research. If sous vide cooking is completely new to you, take a little time to research about it. Be prepared when it comes to what you want to cook, whether it’s a sous vide steak or a spiked hot chocolate. Sous vide cooking does take a little research in regards to temperatures, cooking times, and best practices. But it’s worth it.
To keep up with all that’s new in the world of sous vide and to do my own research, I love reading Cuisine Solutions Sous-Vide Magazine.
In fact, that’s where this Sous Vide Spiked Hot Chocolate recipe comes from!
This magazine is stunning—filled with beautiful photography, incredible chefs, and informative tips.
It also was what inspired me to try sous vide cocktails, which I never even thought of doing before.
And with that, let’s learn how to make some spiked hot chocolate.
So why go through all the trouble of making this spiked hot chocolate sous vide?
Sous vide allows for even cooking at low temperatures, which ensures that the chocolate does not burn or scorch, but melts slowly and evenly. This creates a thick, luscious hot chocolate that is ultra-creamy and infused with as much flavor as possible.
Plus, sous vide cocktails are very trendy right now, so serving this at a party makes for a fun, impressive, and conversational beverage.
What you’ll need for this Spiked Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Whipped Cream:
- high-quality dark chocolate, like Valrhona
- heavy cream
- peppermint extract
- crushed peppermint candies
- butterscotch schnapps
- vanilla extract
- sugar (optional)
Watch our video below to see just how it’s done!
And here’s a few things you may need for this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links and are always products I use in my own kitchen & highly recommend!Print
Sous Vide Spiked Hot Chocolate is a fun spin on a winter favorite. Think outside the sous vide box and create a delicious, creamy cocktail.
For the Peppermint Whipped Cream:
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 drop peppermint extract
For the Spiked Hot Chocolate:
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup butterscotch schnapps
- ¼ cup dark rum or bourbon
- ¼ cup sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces high-quality 70% dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons crushed peppermint candy, for garnish
- Make the whipped cream. Using a standing or hand-held electric mixer, beat the cream and peppermint extract to stiff peaks, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Combine the milk, cream, schnapps, bourbon, sugar (if using), vanilla, and chocolate in a sous vide bag and seal.
- Cook in a water bath at 185°F (85°C) for 45 minutes, or until the chocolate is melted.
- When ready, shake the bag vigorously and transfer to a wide-mouth pitcher or glass bowl. Whisk until smooth and combined.
- Pour the hot chocolate into serving glasses and top each with whipped cream. Garnish with crushed peppermint.